The Weekend of Upsets

What's up Tailgaters, the weekend that was in sports was in one word, Upset City, ok thats two words. I had a Charles Barkley moment, bear with me... On on hand, I was very surprised, but on the other, this is the nature of any sport. In other aspects of life, parents lost children, children lost parents and people have found themselves, well lost. Sorry I digress but lets begin, shall we?

My Friday was the same as most as any other Friday, kind of uneventful eventhough I did watch the Bellator Main Event as Joe Warren, former champ in the featherweight division, was looking for a way back to a title shot was completely destroyed by Darrion Caldwell. Winning by rear naked choke that was so bad that he didnt tap, he went out. That set off a chain-reaction of events that rocked the combat sports world.

Saturday night, one of the better UFCs in a long time happened and both the main and co-main ended with chokes. Holly Holm, who stopped the train known as Ronda Rousey, was upset by Miesha Tate, which sets up a thrilling trilogy with the aformentioned Rousey. After two embarassing losses to Rousey, this upcoming third match is very, very,very interesting.

Later that night, Conor McGregor was beaten by a very game and very tough Nate Diaz by 3rd round stoppage due to a choke. This is the new candidate for fight of the year, this fight was back and forth, tit for tat, but it was the younger Diaz that took the fight over and pulled the upset. Eventhough the fight was at 170, I think if the fight was at 155, this couldve been a bit different. They will dance again... I guarantee it.

Overall, the big winner was Bellator, eventhough, one of the best fighters on their roster was beaten, that was better than the two champions of the UFC that lost... hmmm. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Sunday, the weekend of upsets continue as the Warriors was beaten by the Lakers... yes I said the Lakers. Maybe it was a gift to Kobe from Steph for a happy retirement. Steph and Klay could not buy a shot and it hurt the Warriors to the tune of a sound 112-85 beatdown. Alot of people are calling that the single bigeest regular season upset ever. I call it a fluke and tell me who will be back to back NBA champs in June.

We also welcomed the return of MLS, the first spring training baseball games and the beginnings of championship week in college basketball. All in all, it was a fun weekend of sports and I'm looking forward to next weekend.

Before I go, I know that this is supposed to be a sports blog but, I think I would be remissed if I didnt give my heartfelt condolences to Atlanta based rapper Trentavious White aka Bankroll Fresh. Young man was only 28 years old and the victim of senseless violence. Young men and women of today need to know that life and time on Earth is precious and valuable. We need to put the guns down and show the next generation the values of real love, real respect and hard work. You should learn something from the tragedies of Trayvon, and cities of Cleveland and St. Louis and let those be a lesson. Become better people and become conscious of whats real and whats not.

This weekend in the Pressbox, we will talk about all things college basketball as we are getting to the business end of the season. Also, Audrey Gunther will be back talking bracketology and all things sports so check it out The Tailgate Crew 10am-noon Blogtalkradio.com. As always lets go Tailgatin'!!!  

Jermaine Houston, host of the Tailgate Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment