The Championship Weekend that Was

I am coming out of a sports coma where the weekend was full of heartaches and heartbreaks. From Friday to Selection Sunday, this weekend was absolutely awesome!!!!

  Friday was THE BEGINNING. Just like a friend told me, it wouldnt be March Madness without UCONN being in a multiple overtime game in their conference tournament. I swear my heart couldnt take it and that was around 2pm! Later in the day I kept seeing replays of Wayne Seldon doing an NBA Jam redux by dunking over the Baylor player in Kansas' Big 12 Semi win, it gets even better...

  Davidson and St. Bonaventure had a classic where leads were changed left and right, where Davidson wins in overtime. West Virginia and Oklahoma had one of the best Big 12 games of all time where West Virginia shut Buddy Hield down and held him to 2 points. But it was the end of the game that everyone is talking about. Hield almost saved the Sooners with a halfcourt heave. It didnt count because he didnt call bank... too soon for the Sooners? Noticed what I did there, nevermind, that was a dumb joke. Moving on, Friday is still not done. I stayed up until 3 am watching the Utah-Cal game that was just absolutely wonderful, it was so well played and much like all the other games of earlier. Friday was a day of classics, I only hoped Saturday would be much the same.

 Saturday, was so good, so good! Maybe not the classics of Friday but a solid day of Basketball nonetheless... I mean Seton Hall, Seton Hall? Probably had the biggest upset of the weekend when they beat Villanova in the Big East final at Madison Square Garden. How about Stony Brook, Hawaii, and Weber State making waves for the mid-major conferences. As for other schools, because of upsets on Saturday set the stage for Sunday.

 Sunday was just the icing on the cake, Michigan State and Kentucky solidified themselves as tourney favorites by winning their respective conference tournaments in dramatic and team galvanizing fashion. Selection Sunday was a joke, the number 1 seeds have a combined 23 losses, the most since 2000. The Pac-12 got seven schools in was wrong, Michigan and Syracuse made the tourney... Syracuse? Didnt they lose to St. John's and by 12? Further let's me know that the NCAA is as bad as FIFA, that was so wrong of me. The WCC should've gotten another school in St Mary's and possibly BYU. This is another story for another day. The tourney's First Four gets started Tuesday and I will be tuned in definately. This was probably the best weekend of the year in sports and I am excited for the next weekend!!!

 This weekend on The Tailgate Crew, the NCAA tournament gets started and we will break down some of the surprises and upsets, I imagine there will be some. In the Pressbox, special guest Audrey Gunther of persources.com and chatsports.com will be on with me with her bracketology expertese. Tee Rexc will check in from Spring Break. Call in and talk with Audrey and myself 646.378.0298. As always, Let's Go Tailgatin'!!!!

Jermaine Houston, host of The Tailgate Crew 



No comments:

Post a Comment