Blog Of The Weekend That Was In Sports 2/22/2016


Whats going on tailgaters, this past week was paradise for me, Champions League returning, Duke beating North Carolina. Bellator once again proving to everyone that they are garbage and the UFC once again showing their class.


My weekend actually started on Wednesday, even though my work week ended on Thursday. Ok, there is my weekly digression, moving forward.


Wednesday night, if you are a fan of college sports, then you were in for a treat as the Battle of the Blues happened in the Dean Dome as Duke played North Carolina in a classic, Duke winning the game 74-73 over Tar Heels. A lot of people will question the call made by Roy Williams to take a time out or not. To the casual fan, you take the timeout. In many coaches' views you did what Roy did and let your veterans dictate the outcome. The latter happened. As a Duke fan, I didnt care either way as long as they didnt make the shot. Couldnt keep the momentum going as they lost Saturday at Louisville.


Thursday, I didn't watch anything of interest unless you call Manchester United losing to Midtjylland something of interest. Louis Van Gaal, you are the weakest link.. goodbye. Oh yeah, I did watch Party Down South and a women's MMA fight broke out, but other than that. Nothing else major happened.


Friday night, I sat down and watched the Bellator card from Houston last night and I almost broke out my Nintendo, the Geritol and Depends, went to the store and bought some milk duds and whoppers because swear to you, watching that was like I was in a bad 80s movie. The Kimbo Slice- Dada 5000 fight was like watching a botched TNA wrestling match. It was horrible, they swung for the fences and was gassed in the first seconds of the fight. Double that with the fact that Big John McCarthy made them stand up when Dada was in full mount on Kimbo advancing his position. It was like watching a red koopa fight a milk dud. That was the co-main event.... it gets better...


The main event had 375 year old Ken Shamrock facing 340 year old Royce Gracie in a fight that was better not fought. It had the nerve to end in controversy, an inadvertent knee to the jewels and subsequent knee to the body with punches ended the night, Thank God for that.


Saturday was pretty much the same as always for me, I watched a little bit of basketball but watched the NASCAR Xfinity series race, which was actually very good as Daytona 500 pole sitter Chase Elliott won.


Sunday was actually the busiest day for me as I intently watched the FA Cup match between Manchester City and Chelsea in which Chelsea won 5-1, booking themselves into the final 8.


Then I settled in and watched the Daytona 500, from the green flag to the checkers, the highlight of the day, John Cena getting pimp slapped by a ponytail on pit row before the race... EPIC!!!


The race had so many twists and turns, my favorite and pole sitter, Chase Elliott, crashed early and finished 40 laps down, then my dark horse favorite, Austin Dillon had car trouble. Dale Earnhardt Jr. crashed out, leaving fans to beat themselves to death with their hat. But the race was nonstop action and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The end of the race was just sick, the pass Denny Hamlin pulled off was nasty and won by .111 of a second, closest race in Daytona 500 history. I had to drink a beer after that.

Later I watched some of WWE Fastlane which was borderline predictable but the match that caught my eye and I think will be match of the year was AJ Styles vs Chris Jericho. They are veterans of the sport and can bring the best out of anyone including each other. Also, roman reigns won the triple threat match, yay (sarcasm meter was at 100)

 My weekend was complete by watching the UFC card Cowboy vs Cowboy. Donald Cerrone showed why he is considered a perennial contender, he moved up to 170 and immediately made himself a contender by beating Alex Oliveira via beautiful triangle choke, all the fights on the card were great and unlike the Bellator card, made sense.

Cody "No Love" Garbrandt wins in his homecoming fight in Pittsburgh. Joe Riggs, in what could be his final UFC fight, was finished fast by Chris Camozzi with knees. Derek Brunson and Dennis Bermudez also picked up wins.

Last week, I failed to mention congrats to Ronda Rousey, Ashley Graham and Hailey Clauson for being the cover women for the 2016 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. So, congrats.

It was an excellent weekend in Sports, surprises, excitement and enjoyment was had by all. This weekend on the Tailgate Crew, we will talk about the NFL combine, talk some college basketball and the big Boxing card in Brooklyn Saturday night. Let's go Tailgatin'.

Jermaine Houston, Host of The Tailgate Crew Show

No comments:

Post a Comment